Here is a recipe from the Gritti Palace in Venice.This prestigious old hotel is right on the Grand Canal and is where I learned to make this delicious dessert. Think of Harry’s Bar with Hemingway dipping a delicate dessert spoon into a tall flute of Zabaglione Freddo, his favorite Italian delicacy.
This dessert is light and velvety to the tongue, a perfect finish for a dinner party or any special evening with friends, famous or not.
- 1 1/2 cups dry, white wine
- 8 egg yolks
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 pkg. plain gelatin
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 2 cups of heavy cream, whipped soft
- 1/2 cup Marsala wine or 1/4 cup grand Marnier, optional.
- Using a metal bowl over simmering water, whisk sugar, wine and yolks until triple in volume.
- Set up gelatin in the cold water to dissolve the grains, then whisk into hot yolk mixture.
- Add Marsala.
- Cool mixture in bowl over ice.
- Whip cream to soft peaks.
- Fold cream to cooled mixture and chill briefly to just the start of setting.
- Using a pastry bag, pipe mixture almost to top of each glass. Finish with toasted, crushed almonds or fresh raspberries. Refrigerate until needed.
- This is a perfect make ahead dessert.
This picture shows a dessert table at a catering event for a friend. The flutes of Zabaglione Freddo,are topped with a cream rosette and crushed pistachios.