This is a No Bake recipe. These delicious tartletts are a perfect choice to accompany tall glasses of iced tea on a hot summer afternoon. Use ready made store-bought pastry shells from the grocery freezer, (or make your own shells, recipe below). Simply prepare the filling in the morning and hold in the fridge until needed. (If the cold filling is too thick, beat again to room temperature). Use a generous tablespoon of filling and garnish with a curled twist of lemon peel and 2 fresh raspberries with a sprig of mint. Dust each pastry with a shake of confectioner’s sugar. Your friends will think you have purchased these from a fancy French bakery.
- Purchased tart shells, baked and ready to fill.
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup white chocolate, (good quality chocolate not coating), chopped, melted over hot water. Hold aside to room temperature.
- 3 Tbsp.sour cream.
- 1/4 cup Cool Whip, thawed.
- 2 tsp. lemon zest, divided. Cut some thin, long pieces of peel and some fine shaved.
- Confectioner’s sugar.
- (optional, fresh raspberries and mint.)
- Beat cream cheese until soft and fluffy.
- Add melted room temperature white chocolate, sour cream and fine shaved zest.
- Fold in Cool Whip. Use ready baked pastry shells and fill with a generous Tbsp. of filling. (or see pastry recipe below).
- Garnish with a thin twisted peel of lemon. Add 2 fresh raspberries and a mint leaf.
- Dust all with confectioner’s sugar. Impress and enjoy!
Processor Pastry for tart shells
Makes 3 dz small shells
- 2 cups flour
- 6 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 12 sticks unsalted, cold butter cut into cubes.
- 1 whole egg
- 1 egg yolk.
- Pinch salt
- Put flour, sugar, salt, in food processor. Blend.
- Add cubes of butter. Pulse on-off to crumbly stage.
- Whisk eggs together, add to processor and process only until it starts to clump.
- Turn out onto lightly floured counter, press into a disk, wrap and let rest in fridge.1/2 hour.
- Roll out pastry between plastic wrap to about 1/8″ thickness.
- Place pastry sheet over set-out tart shells and let pastry sink into shells, pressing with heel of hand to gently shape. Re-roll cuttings.
- Prick pastry surface of tarts with tines of fork.
- Freeze pastry shells 1/2 hour or until needed.
- Bake on middle rack in a 375F oven for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to cool, or fill as above.
Unbaked shells ready for the 375f oven. 10 minutes.
Helpful micro plane for fine zest and tool for cutting peel.
This pastry recipe is excellent for tarts as it doesn’t shrink when baking and stays crispy when filled.
These pastry shells will keep in a zip-lock bag in the freezer several months, ready to bake off on a moments notice.