In case of a Hurricane, our Clubhouse becomes a shelter. We accommodate our residents first and we make the Community Room available for pets.
Unfortunately there is limited space so we have a lottery to be fair to all pet owners.
That gives you time to check on other facilities in the area for your pets. There is a Pet Hotel, several Veterinarians, and so on.
The Activities Office will take your information and put it in the lottery. The drawing will be the first Monday of June during Coffee Time.
The following is a list of rules for those requesting shelter for their pets:
Rec Hall Shelter Rules
- Tanglewood residents and registered guest only. You must sign in and bring your badge.
- No beer or liquor.
- No firearms.
- No pets. (Except if you are part of the lottery)
- ENTRY AND EXIT ONLY THROUGH NORTH CRAFT ROOM DOOR.
- NO ONE WILL BE PERMITTED TO ENTER OR LEAVE WHEN THE WINDS ARE TOO DANGEROUS TO OPEN THE DOOR (AS DETERMINED BY MANAGEMENT’S REPRESENTATIVE). NO EXTERIOR DOORS, OTHER THAN THE NORTH CRAFT ROOM DOOR, ARE TO BE OPENED. CHOOSE YOUR OWN TIME TO GO TO THE SHELTER, BUT WHEN IT IS DETERMINED THAT IT IS TOO DANGEROUS TO OPEN THE DOORS, NO ONE WILL BE ADMITTED OR ALLOWED TO LEAVE.
- Mirrored Room, Laundry and exterior bathroom doors will be locked.
- SPECIAL NEEDS RESIDENTS SHOULD SEEK SHELTER ELSEWHERE.
- Please bring the following items to the shelter:
- Enough food and water for two days
- Pillows and blankets
- Medication, eyeglasses, etc.
- Change of clothing
- Toiletries- toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, soap, washcloth, towel, etc.
- Battery-powered radio
- Recreational items- cards, puzzles, games, etc
Tanglewood Pet Shelter Rules
- If you are chosen in the pet lottery you must pay a $10.00 refundable deposit and choose your pet’s spot in the room. This can be done at the Activities Office during normal business hours.
- All pets are required to be in a carrier or cage.
- All belongings should be marked with proper identification.
- All owners should bring an ample supply of food, water, food bowls, any necessary medications, and newspapers or trash bags for clean-up.
- All pet owners are responsible for the care of their own pet, therefore they are required to remain with their pet in the Community Room for the duration of the time they are using the facility as a shelter.
Upon departure of the pet shelter it is the owner’s responsibility to leave their designated spot clean. If staff determines your area was left clean you can come to the Activities Office to receive your deposit back.