We are always looking for the perfect recipe for Pumpkin Pie. Do we use the tried and true or look for an interesting new combination? So many pictures look appealing but here is my newest version of Pumpkin Pie. It has a touch of caramel on the bottom layer of a traditional pastry crust, and a fluffy layer of pumpkin on top. Finish with whipped cream or meringue
1 2/3 cups flour
2 tsp. sugar
1 stick plus 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
3/4 tsp. kosher salt
4-5 Tbsp. ice water.
Pulse flour, sugar, salt in a food processor.
Add butter pieces and pulse to mix to crumble stage.
Drizzle with 4-5 Tablespoons ice cold water, enough to bring the mixture into a clump but not a ball.
Turn out onto floured board, bring together with the heel of your hand, and pat into a disc.
Cover with plastic and chill at least 1 hour.
Roll out into a 13″ circle.
Place in a 9″ deep style pie pan and trim to 1″ over the edge.
Pinch between fingers to form and decorative edge around rim.
Refrigerate 30 minutes.
Using parchment paper, fill center with dried beans to prevent shrinkage.
Bake 375F on lower oven rack 30 minutes, remove paper and beans bake 5 minutes more to a golden color.
Cool crust on rack. Meanwhile make caramel.
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil
- Pinch kosher salt
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut or flaked almonds optional
- In a small heavy bottom sauce pot, sprinkle part of the sugar in to the pot, to start melting.
- When it is dissolved, add the rest of the sugar, don’t stir, and let it caramelize to a light amber color (watch closely) about 2 minutes.
- Off the heat, carefully add the heavy cream, stirring down bubbles to blend.
- Add 2 tbsp. coconut oil and a pinch of kosher salt.
- Add 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut or almonds. (optional).
- Using the cooled, blind baked crust, spread caramel over the bottom of the crust with an off set spatula or back of a spoon.
- 1 cup pure pumpkin puree (from 15oz. can)
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 tsp.kosher salt
- 1 tsp.ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla
- 3 eggs, separated (plus 1 extra white makes 4)
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup heavy cream, plus extra cream for serving
In a large bowl, whisk together pumpkin,1/2 cup sugar,salt, spices and vanilla.
In a separate bowl, whisk egg yolks with remaining 1/2 cup sugar until thick and pale.
Stir into pumpkin mixture to combine. Stir in milk and cream.
With a stand mixer on low, beat 4 egg whites to foamy stage.
Increase speed to medium high and beat to stiff but not dry peaks.
Stir 1/3 of whites into pumpkin mixture.
Gently fold in remaining whites, (do not over mix).
Spread into cooled, caramel crust, smooth surface with spatula.
Bake 45-55 minutes or until puffed and golden brown on top and set at edges but still a bit jiggly at center.
Transfer to a rack to cool completely
Refrigerate until cold at least 1 hour, or loosely covered for 1 day.
Pipe with whipped cream and a dusting of grated nutmeg. Enjoy!
ps, this crust cuts very well