A wonderful, smooth Caramel Flan is perfect for a busy Christmas dessert table and an additional choice against pies or tarts. This recipe suggests making a day ahead for best results. It cuts cleanly into squares when making for a crowd. I successfully made double the recipe and used a 2” deep large roaster pan as my container serving a big group. Pouring rum over portion when serving make a festive version. Remember to read the whole recipe to make sure everything is at hand.
(1/2 recipe is printed below and can be doubled).
Recipe serves 8-10, baking pan 9×13
- 1 cup sugar for caramel on bottom of container.
- 8 eggs
- 2 cans unsweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups of water
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Fresh grated nutmeg, (optional)
Oven 350ºF 9×13 bake pan.
- Melt sugar in a heavy bottom pot. Cook only to a golden brown, watch carefully, dip bottom of pot in cold water to stop cooking. Immediately pour over bottom of baking container.
- Pre heat oven 350ºF
- Beat eggs in a large bowl to frothy, set aside.
- Mix condensed milk, water and vanilla.
- Pour into eggs. Mix and use a whisk to blend well.
- Strain mixture into baking mold of choice, (a dusting of fresh grated nutmeg on top is optional)
- Place flan in a larger pan of hot water, on lower rack in a 350 oven.
- Bake 45-50 minutes for smaller pan, or 1/1/2 hour for larger pan, or until knife inserted comes out clean.
- Cool, refrigerate at least 6 hours or best over night.
- Cut into squares, dress with poached berries or seasonal fruit, or pour warmed rum over square on individual plate, flaming at each place when serving. Fun finish.