Choose this extravagant finale for your Easter celebration. My Italian friends applauded their approval and excitement to see a familiar memory from their past! Perfect to make ahead and it will cut into 12 servings.
Italian, Ricotta Pastry Dessert
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 2Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 3/4 cups cold, unsalted butter-diced
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp Marsala or other sweet wine and possibly 1 Tbsp ice cold water.
- Place all dry ingredients in food processor, blend.
- Pulse in cold butter until coarse crumbs.
- Mix egg and Marsala, pulse twice
- Add 1 Tbsp cold water just to hold together.
- Divide ball of dough into 1/3 and 2/3, and shape into disks- chill 1 hour.
- 32 oz. whole milk ricotta cheese
- 11/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp grated lemon and also orange rind
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 4 eggs beaten
- Mix together the 32oz ricotta, flour lemon and orange zest and almond extract.
- With mixer set at medium, beat mixture until smooth, (about 3 minutes).
- Add cream, raisins, until well combined. Stir in eggs, set aside.
Final assembly Oven 350F
- On lightly floured counter, roll chilled dough into 13″ round disk and a 9″ disk.
- In an ungreased 9″ spring form pan, fold over pin and drop into the bottom, gently pressing with fingers up the sides 3/4 of the way to the top of the pan. Chill briefly.
- Roll the second disk into a 9″ circle and cut into 1/2″ wide strips. Chill briefly.
- Fill the chilled pastry with prepared filling.
- Arrange pastry strips in a lattice over top, pressing ends down inside pan, then trim any excess bits.
- Bake about 1 hr and 40 minutes, testing the center with a tooth pick to come out slightly moist.
- Turn off oven and leave door slightly ajar, and let pastry sit for 1 hour.
- Remove and cool completely, then cover and chill.
- When ready to serve, release cake from pan and sprinkle with confectioners sugar.