Are You a Little S.O.B.?
Get your calendars out and markers close by. Healthcare awareness has exploded with what one might call (TMI) or ‘too much information’. Not that its a bad thing, but, well, read on and either your eyes will glaze over or your markers will run dry. Here goes:
- National Blood Donor Month -We all have it, and some of us have special types, so share the health, and donate.
- National Volunteer Blood Donor Month – So now they take anyone who wants to ‘volunteer’ to work the needles?
- Cervical Health Awareness Month – Not touching that one.
- Thyroid Awareness Month – Its more or less either hypo or hper.
- National Intravenous Nurse Day – If you’ve ever needed an ‘IV’, it’s not always something to celebrate, and, unless they get it right the first time, it will be a bloody mess and your arm will look like a pin cushion. It has been said that it is easier to give than to receive. Personal experience confirms this one on both ends of the needle.
• American Heart Month – One of my favorites. The American Heart Association CPR course is awesome!
• National Cancer Prevention Month – Getting close to a cure. Drug companies need another disease to maintain.
• Patient Recognition Week – Hope they have my name spelled right, Wrong, It’s BA TEY, not BEATTY.
• National Cardiac Rehabilitation Week – You can’t be ‘active’ until you can climb a flight of stairs without getting (SOB) also known as short of breath.
• Alzheimer’s and Dementia Staff Education Week – So it’s the STAFF who has dementia! That explains why they wake you up at midnight to give you a sleeping pill!
• National Wear Red Day for women’s heart health – Be that Lady in Red, it’s for a good cause
Had enough? Are you still awake? Just one more month…
March – (Some answers lean towards medical humor)
• National Colo-rectal Cancer Awareness Month – Have you had your colonoscopy?
• Brain Injury Awareness Month – Helmets can make a difference, especially with motorcycles.
• Save Your Vision Month – No more saving, it’s time to see and be seen.
• National Nutrition Month – Save a cow, eat more chicken
• National Kidney Month – We have a pair of-um , so take care of-um
• Patient Safety Awareness Week – Be aware that you have a patient, for safety’s sake!
• National Pulmonary Rehabilitation Week – Lungs, they can leave you breathless.
• World Oral Health Day – Keep it clean, try the new Oral-B toothbrush.
• The American Diabetes Association Alert Day – That alarm going off from your phone is the reminder to check your blood sugar before eating that chocolate pudding pie! (I know who you are).
• National Doctor’s Day – For some, its time to change careers, make more money working in health insurance.
That’s all, my eyes are glazing over! Until next time.