Cupcakes are always popular whether they have sweet or savory fillings. At a recent club party, everyone made quite a fuss when they saw these on the dessert table and soon they were all gone!
I used 1 box of angel cake mix for the base, filling each cupcake with batter only 3/4 full in medium size, ( 3/12″) bake cups set out in a muffin type pan with paper liners. The batter will rise quite a bit in baking then fall back level when cool so filling 3/4 is about right. This allows for a nice double puff of icing to decorate the top.
Cupcakes Oven 350F 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
Makes about 16.
- 1 box of Angel Cake mix, mix as directed on box.
- Using an Angel cake mix, follow the ideas above, and when baked move to a cake rack to cool for about 5 minute, then remove from pan and continue to cool in papers..
- With the handle of a wooden spoon, poke a hole in the center right to the bottom. Fill this with small fresh cut strawberry pieces or several fresh raspberries..
Fluffy Marsh Mallow icing.
- 1-1/2 cups of unsalted butter room temperature, (3 sticks)
- 2- 7oz. jars of marshmallow creme, sounds crazy but it is really good
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 tsp.Vanilla
- 1 tsp. salt
- For the frosting use a large stand mixer bowl and beat butter until light and fluffy. Add all marshmallow creme beating to incorporate. Add confectioners’ sugar, vanilla and salt.
- Using a large pastry bag fitted with a large plain round tip, hold bag right over center of each cupcake. Squeeze, lift and release, twice, creating a lovely double fluffy topping. Practice a bit before finishing. (Double icing recipe if you are doing more than 16 cupcakes).
- Dust with extra confectioners’ sugar and a few raspberries or blue berries. When decorated they hold up well in the fridge.