Rhubarb is such a special ingredient! Only at this time of the year will you see ruby fresh stalks at food fairs or roadside stalls; but you can still find rhubarb in the fruit freezer section at some grocery stores all year. The top of this cake is crusty with caramelized fruit and inside it is moist in a tasty way. I used frozen, thawed and drained pieces of rhubarb as well as thawed peach slices. All very delicious!
- 9″ buttered spring form pan, oven 350F 45-55 minutes.
- 2 eggs and 1 yolk
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 Tbsp melted butter
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 Tbsp dark rum
- 2 tsp finely grated lemon rind
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/tsp kosher salt
- 12 oz. cut up pieces of rhubarb, thawed and drained
- 12 oz. sliced thawed peaches
- In a medium mixer bowl add sugar, eggs and yolk and beat to light and thick. Add melted butter, sour cream, rum and lemon rind, mixing the batter well. In a separate bowl whisk flour, baking powder and salt together. Add to batter just mixing until smooth.
- Pour into the ready pan
- Position peach slices in a circular pattern over the batter.
- Do the same with the rhubarb on top. Sprinkle extra sugar, (about 1/4 cup) over the surface.
- Bake in lower middle of oven about 50 minutes or until nicely browned. Do not over bake, but if it still needs a bit more time to brown, I used the oven grill setting to finish and caramelize the top surface, but watch carefully.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes, then un-mold onto cake rack to finish cooling.
- Cut in wedges and serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.