TMAC Minutes May 2018

TANGLEWOOD MASTER ACTIVITY COMMITTEE

MONTHLY MEETING MINUTES

MAY 16, 2018

The TMAC meeting was called to order by Chair, Bruce Eberly at 3:00 p.m. in the Tanglewood Club House.  The meeting opened with the Pledge of Allegiance and prayer.  Estimated number in the audience was six.

Roll call was taken by the secretary, Donna Scorse.  The following committees were represented: Computer Club, Country Breakfast, Dance, Diversions, Genealogy, Library, Model Yacht Club, Table Games, Pickleball, Shuffleboard, Special Events, Special Meals, TAG, Tech Support, Tennis, TWR Times, Water Volleyball, Welcome Committee, Decorating Committee.  The following committees had no representation:  Bingo, Glass Shop, Pentanque, Potluck, Trips and Travel, Wood Shop.  There was a legal quorum.

Minutes from April’s meeting were sent out prior to the meeting to all committee members.  A motion to approve without changes came from Shirley Kabet with support from Bob Grandsard followed by unanimous voice support.

TREASURER’S REPORT:  MARILYN SCHOPPENHORST

Treasurer’s report had previously been sent out to all committee members.  The beginning balance for the month of April was $139,257.25.  After expenses, committed funds and deposits, available funds remain of $32,979.73.  A motion to approve the treasurer’s report with no changes came from Gerry Humphrey with support from Shirley Kabet.  This was followed by unanimous voice support. 

TANGLEWOOD’S COMMUNITY MANAGER REPORT:  

Community Manager, Tammy Martin was not present.

TANGLEWOOD’S ACTIVITY DIRECTOR’S REPORT:

A reminder was given that all newsletter entries need to be in by the 15th of each month for use in the following months newsletter.  The digital sign is currently offline.  A call for repair has been placed into the company.  A new i.p. address is needed.  The sign should be fixed relatively soon.  Due to the resignations of both the Chair and Vice Chair from the Water Volleyball, an election was held to fill those positions.  Ben Davis was nominated and elected to Chair position.  Mike LaBozetta was nominated and elected to Vice Chair position.  

Home Town America activities for the summer are as follows:

May 23rd Jammer Jell-O Shots Party (pool veranda) 3-5 p.m.  June 6th afternoon movie at 2:00 p.m.  in the club house.  June 13th pool party from 2-4 p.m.   July 11th movie in the club house at 2:00 p.m.  July 27th cake and ice cream in the club house.

Bruce Eberly addressed Monday morning coffee sponsors that are a no show.  All sponsors pay the morning of coffee.  If there is a no show then coffee and doughnuts are paid by the Monday Morning Coffee Committee.  Jay Etherton, Chair of MMC is not in favor of charging the residents for coffee and doughnuts when this takes place.  A motion was made by the secretary that all sponsors must pay in full no less than ten days in advance.  If a sponsor cancels within this time frame the payment can be transferred to another date.  If they are a no-show there will be no refund.  This motion was supported by Shirley Kabet and passed by voice vote.

COMPUTER CLUB:

Tammy Martin, community manager from Hometown America, has agreed to allow the Computer Club to share their internet access in the Recreational Hall.  This will save TMAC approximately $928 annually in internet fees.

There will be no meetings of the maintenance committee during the summer.  Next scheduled meeting for October 12, 2018 at 1:00 p.m. in the Community Room.

There will be no meetings or newsletter in June or September as the Chair will be out of town.

The main topic this month will be changes in the new Windows 10, Spring 2018 Creators update that has been released and the new changes in Gmail and Google Drive.  Discussions will also be undertaken on Cloud Services, the internet, computer security along with a question and answer session.

The Computer Club meets the 4th Friday of every month at 2:00 p.m. in the Community Room.  New members are always welcome.

YACHT CLUB:

Most members have returned north.  They are currently meeting on Tuesday and Thursday mornings at 10:00 a.m. at the sailing pond.

DANCE COMMITTEE:

There are no large bands scheduled during the summer months.  Small entertainment will continue during the summer.  Watch for dates and times in the monthly newsletter.

WATER VOLLEYBALL:

On July 13th a non-competitive (perhaps not so…??!!) tournament will be played between the water volleyball players and the Hometown America employees.  

WELCOME COMMITTEE:

They continue to meet with new residents.  Their next meeting is scheduled for August 2, 2018.

SHUFFLEBOARD:

Some resident players have returned north.  They continue to play two games at 9:30 a.m. Monday through Friday; finishing around 10:45 a.m.  All are welcome to join in the fun.

LIBRARY COMMITTEE:

1,013 books were filed in April.  YTD 2,292 books have been filed.

COFFEE COMMITTEE:

Jay Etherton reported that the dark roast coffee is going over well.  With the attendance down in the summer they are ordering around eight dozen doughnuts.

TABLE GAMES:

They need someone to take over Mah Jong due to the passing of the recent leader. The continuation and/or sustainability of Mah Jong is totally dependent on finding a replacement.

TECH SUPPORT:

Tech reservation forms need to be submitted by the fourth Monday of each month.  Security cameras are now in place.

PICKLEBALL:

They have equipment to loan.  Two portable nets have been donated by the College.  A challenge was made to HTA to participate in a game of Pickleball.

TAG:

TAG is now in their off season.  During the summer months they will be working on scripts and production outlines to utilize blue screen and possibly drone technologies.  Their next scheduled meeting is slated for November.  TAG’S treasurer formally resigned. They will address this when they resume in November.  The treasurer position is an internally appointed position.

GENEALOGY:

They will resume with their meetings on November 7th.  A full calendar of planned activities for the start of the season in November is being worked on.

TENNIS:

Tennis plays daily Monday – Friday at 9:00 a.m.   There are new chairs in the tennis area.  Their next meeting is scheduled for October.  The clock is now up and working.  Stronger ties are now in place for the wind nets.  New players are always welcome.

TWRT:

They need groups. clubs, and committees to send in their news.  Schedule events ahead of time and place in TWRT with a written follow up after completion.  This is all interest based news.  They are receiving over 4,000 hits per month.  Classified ads are free.  New writers are now in place and awaiting your news.  Meetings are suspended for the summer months.  Limerick contest and hidden icons contest will start June 1st.  Watch for more details.

SPECIAL MEALS:

They are off for the summer months and will resume in October.

COUNTRY BREAKFAST:

There is a definite decline in ticket sales during the summer months.  Currently 130 tickets have sold for the month of May.

SPECIAL EVENTS:

Special Events ended their season “in the black”.  “There is a positive dollar amount”.  Southern Gospel Night is scheduled for Saturday, June 23rd.  Tickets are $10.00

DECORATING COMMITTEE:

Meetings have been suspended for the summer months.  The lobby is now decorated for Memorial weekend, Father’s Day, July 4th and then we will change to fall decorations.  If anyone is in need of a special occasion being recognized contact Becky Arth, Jean Delucia or Betty Bjore.

DIVERSIONS:

Broadway Lights Theatre Company split from Diversions, effective April 23rd.  Sevens Card game was held on May 7th.  There was good attendance.  Upcoming events are the July 4th golf cart parade and the July 4th pot luck dinner.  Four tables are left for the craft fair held in November.  Tables are $5.00 each.  

OLD BUSINESS:

TMAC chair requested that all committee reports be submitted to the Secretary, Donna Scorse, prior to each TMAC meeting.  However, the Secretary will take them the day of the TMAC meeting.  

The Equipment Loan Policy was reviewed.  Shirley Kabet introduced the form.  The form will formally be titled: TMAC Inter Committee Loan Agreement.  This form will be used for all inter committee equipment loans with the exception of HTA equipment.  Shirley will add to the form the following:  All equipment needs to be returned in the condition that it was borrowed.  If equipment is damaged the repair or replacement may fall on the borrowing committee.  There was a motion on the floor to accept this.  Lois Eberly introduced the motion and support came from Shirley Kabet.  A vote was put to the floor.  In opposition was Jay Etherton.  Motion passed by voice vote.

NEW BUSINESS:

It was mentioned that the Secretary and TMAC Chair need to become aware of any committee change in officers.  Billie spoke and stated that if a Chair of a committee resigns the Vice Chair will take the Chair position.  If the Secretary and Treasurer positions remain the same, no formal elections need take place.   Secretary and Treasurer positions are internally appointed.  

There was a brief discussion about hosting an Olympic event in the Community between the U.S. and Canada and/or between the Providences and specific States.  

COMMENTS FROM THE AUDIENCE:

Questions arose for clarification between dues paying Committees and non paying Committees.  This as it relates to specific Committees not having to balance with TMAC at the end of year.  Marilyn Schoppenhorst, the TMAC Treasurer, spoke to this and provided clarification.  

THERE WILL BE NO TMAC MEETINGS IN JUNE, JULY OR AUGUST.  WE WILL RESUME IN SEPTEMBER.

MOTION WAS MADE TO ADJOURN AT 4: 30 p.m.

Respectfully Submitted,

Donna Scorse

TMAC Secretary

 

Print Friendly, PDF & Email