This is the right time to find really plump, fresh blueberries here in Florida. This easy recipe is a perfect choice for a casual summer dinner. Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream.
You can also find this recipe in my book, The Accidental Baker, a cake for every crisis.
- Oven 350ºF, 35 minutes, then 15 minutes more.
- 4 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 tsp instant tapioca
- 4 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- 4 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 5 Tbsp. cold butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp. sliced almonds.
- In a medium bowl, toss blueberries with tapioca, lemon zest sugar and extract. Place in a baking dish.
- In a separate bowl put crumbs, brown sugar and butter, mixing with fingers to crumbly stage.
- Bake about 35 minutes, remove and add sliced almonds. Return to oven for about 15 minutes more.
- Serve warm or room temperature, plain or with ice-cream.