I had forgotten about this wonderful Ice Cream until I was in the back garden picking limes from our fabulous tree. This tree is ever-bearing but after the October high winds I wondered if all the blossoms would start again. Sure enough hundreds of limes are there again!
I do have a Simac Gelato/Ice Cream Magnum from Italy, so I brought it out onto the counter to start.
Electric Ice-Cream machine
- Fresh lime juice( from about 10 limes, wash, vegetable peeler for zest, squeeze, and have about 1 1/8 cups strained juice)
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 qt half and half
- 1 Tbsp.light corn syrup
- 2 Tbsp. Myers Dark rum
- 1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
- Combine peel and sugar in processor; with sharp blade process until peel is very finely minced and sugar is almost liquid
- Add juice, pulse to combine, scrape into large mixing bowl.
- Stir in half and half and salt. Add corn syrup.
- Add Rum. Be careful adding rum as more than 2 Tbsp might impinge freezing.,
- Strain out any peel bits, then freeze according to machine directions (about 1/2 a hour). Put in freezer to finish.
- This zippy lime flavor is good for about 1 week.
- Place plastic over ice cream to prevent crystals.