Clubhouse Rules When Used as a Hurricane Shelter
After Hurricane Irma struck Tanglewood, Dr. Bill Burnham, Pastor of Tanglewood Community Church, formed a Hurricane Response Team consisting of qualified and dedicated community volunteers. They have a pre-planned system to aid Tanglewood Residents when a hurricane is imminent. In case of a hurricane, our Clubhouse becomes a dedicated hurricane shelter. We accommodate our Tanglewood Residents first and also provide a room for pets. You must have your badge when checking in.
Normally, the weather service will indicate the threat several weeks in advance. If a hurricane is deemed imminent for our area, the Hurricane Response team will begin Phase 1; Set up and Registration. This normally occurs at least 3-4 weeks prior to when the hurricane is predicted to strike in our area. Information and Guidelines are listed below for your personal preparation.
No Firearms, Tobacco, or Alcohol permitted in the shelter.
Admittance to the shelter will begin no earlier than 24 hours before the expected storm. Exterior doors in the Mirrored Room, Laundry, Exterior bathroom doors and all other outside doors except for the North entrance will be locked.
The Core Group Leaders will be closely monitoring the wind speed through communication with the local police/medical and weather service. For the safety of those inside the shelter, they will determine the time frame when to lock the doors until after the storm has passed.
Special Needs Residents requiring electricity for survival, such as Bi-Pap, C-Pap, Oxygen, Dialysis, etc. should preregister with the health department to reserve shelter elsewhere. We are NOT equipped for your health needs. You must register with Local Special Needs Shelters beginning January of each year. Application forms will be available on the credenza.
All Residents please bring the following items with you to the shelter
a. Food/snacks and water for two days
b. Pillow and blankets
c. Medication, eyeglasses, hearing aids, etc.
d. Change of clothing
e. Toiletries- (toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, soap, washcloth, towel, etc.)
f. Flashlight/ Battery-powered radio
g. Small Recreational items- cards, puzzles, games, etc
The Community Room becomes our Pet Shelter
We can maintain around 50 Pets. Registration is required after you have registered. You must be a resident who will be staying at the Clubhouse shelter during the storm. When our space is full, there are several other Pet Shelters available within a few miles of Tanglewood and reservations are normally required. This is a free service offered by most all veterinarians and animal shelters. Names and locations will be posted that are within a few miles from here.
The following is a list of rules for those residents requesting shelter for their Pets
Tanglewood Pet Shelter Rules
1. All pets are required to be registered through Pam Batey, Core Leader, Pet Shelter Area.
2. All pets must be contained in their own carrier or cage.
3. They must remain on a leash when allowed out of their crate for ‘cuddle breaks’.
4. There will be a ‘seating area’ for you to hold your pet for a while if needed.
5. There will be a designated ‘potty’ area if there is a need when we are on lock down due to the wind speed. All pets will be allowed an outside potty break before the storm hits, if weather conditions allow.
6. All Pet’s belongings should be marked with proper identification.
7. Bring a sheet or blanket large enough to cover the carrier.
8. All owners should bring an ample supply of food, water, food bowls, any necessary medications, and newspapers or trash bags for clean-up. Please speak with your vet about anti-anxiety pills.
9. All pet owners are responsible for the care of their own pets.
10. There will be no space available for owners to sleep with their pets.
11. All owners will be asked to sign up for ‘Pet Duty’ for a minimum of one hour in the Community Room with the animals. There will always be at least 2 people in the room to monitor the pets.
12. Upon departure of the pet shelter it is the owner’s responsibility to retrieve all belongings.