Year-Round Water Conservation Measures
I have had several people call and ask about this, so I thought I would share the info with you as well.
Watering Rules per SWFWMD (copied from their website)
Effective Date and Areas
- The District’s year-round water conservation measures are in effect.
- These measures currently apply to all of Charlotte, Citrus, DeSoto, Hardee,Highlands, Manatee, Pinellas, Polk and Sumter counties; portions of Lake and Levy counties; the portion of Gasparilla Island in Lee County; and the cities of Temple Terrace, Plant City and North Port. See below for more information on areas where stricter measures have been imposed by local governments.
- Some local governments such as Hillborough County and the cities of Clearwater, St. Petersburg and Tampa have local ordinances with special twice-per-week schedules.
- Some local governments such as Hernando, Pasco and Sarasota counties and the cities of Brooksville, Dunedin, Longboat Key, Sarasota and Venice have local ordinances that remain on one-day-per-week schedules.
- Ocala and most of unincorporated Marion County follows the St. Johns River Water Management District’s water restrictions; however, the City of Dunnellon and The Villages remain under the Southwest Florida Water Management District’s water restrictions.
Lawn Watering Days and Times
- Lawn watering is limited to twice per week.
- Lawn watering days and times are as follows unless your city or county has a different schedule or stricter hours in effect:
- Even addresses may water on Thursday and/or Sunday before 10 a.m. or after 4 p.m.
- Odd addresses may water on Wednesday and/or Saturday before 10 a.m.or after 4 p.m.
- Locations without a discernible address, such as rights-of-way and other common areas inside a subdivision, may water on Tuesday and/or Friday before 10 a.m. or after 4 p.m.
- Hand watering and micro-irrigation of plants (other than lawns) can be done on any day and any time.
New Lawns and Plants
- New lawns and plants have a “30-30” establishment period.
- On the day of installation, watering is allowed on any day at any time.
- During the first 30 days, watering is allowed on any day during the allowable hours.
- During the second 30 days, watering is allowed three days per week: even-numbered addresses may water on Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday; odd-numbered addresses may water Monday, Wednesday and Saturday; and locations without a discernable address may water on Tuesday, Friday andSunday.
- Reclaimed water remains subject to voluntary watering hours, unless restricted by the local government or utility.
Fountains, Car Washing and Pressure Washing
- There are no specific restrictions on fountains, car washing and pressure washing.
- These and other water uses should be conducted as efficiently as possible, such as using a shutoff nozzle on each hose to adhere to the general restriction prohibiting wasteful water use.
Report Watering Violations
Use this service to report a water use violation, or you may call us at 1-800-848-0499 (FL only) and leave a detailed message.
If you have additional water restriction questions, please contact us by sending an email to Water.Restrictions@WaterMatters.org (anytime) or by calling our water restrictions hotline at 1-800-848-0499 (FL only) or 1-800-836-0797 (FL only), ext. 2298 (during business hours).
Demand Management Program
7601 U.S. Hwy. 301 North
Tampa, FL 33637
A petition for variance from year-round water conservation measures or water shortage restrictions is available for qualified circumstances. To confirm that a variance is needed or for assistance when filling out an application form, check with our staff during normal business hours at 1-800-848-0499 (FL only) or email Water.Variances@WaterMatters.org.
Always refer to your city or county regulations first.
The District allows local governments to impose special watering schedules.
For more detailed information, view these fact sheets.
- Athletic Fields
- Golf Courses
- Grass Seed
- Handwatering and Low-Volume Irrigation
- Irrigation System Testing
- Miscellaneous Water Uses
- New Plant Establishment
- Reclaimed Water
- Smart Irrigation 494 Variance
Tammy Martin ~ Community Manager ~ Hometown America
3000 Tanglewood Parkway Sebring, FL 33872
Phone: 863-402-1500 ~ Fax: 863-402-0762