Thanksgiving is all about high carb. Mashed potatoes, candied yams, stuffing…. Your family or guests may appreciate a low carb dish. Fancied up vegetable sides maybe just the right offering.
*****Brown-sugar glazed beets-or carrots****
- 3 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons orange juice
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 Teaspoon salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon pepper
- 3 Cups steamed cubed beets or carrots, fresh or canned. Cut into 1/2 to 1 inch pieces
- Combine brown sugar, orange juice, butter, salt, and pepper in a large nonstick skillet.
- Cook over medium heat until sugar and butter are melted and starting to bubble.
- Stir in your vegetables and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated and the vegetables are coated with glaze. 6-8 minutes
****Creamy Green Beans****
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces or 1 package frozen green beans-thawed
- 3 Tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise or whipped dressing
- 2 Teaspoons dijon mustard or what you have
- 1/8 Teaspoon salt
- Place beans in a steamer basket and steam over boiling water until tender or hot.
- Whisk dressing, mustard, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Add beans, toss to coat.
****Glazed mini carrots****
- 3 cups mini or baby carrots(1 pound)
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 2 Teaspoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 tablespoon lemon or orange juice
- Combine carrots, water, honey, butter and salt in a large skillet.
- Bring to simmer over med-high heat.
- Cover and cook until tender 5 to 7 minutes
- Uncover and cook, stir often; until syrup is a syrupy glaze 1 to 2 minutes
- Stir in juice
HAPPY THANKSGIVING. ENJOY THE DAY!