We took a road trip well off the beaten path to Polk County to check out a long time establishment called Cherry Pocket located at the far fringes of Lake Wales.
KNOW BEFORE YOU GO:
Reservations are not accepted
- Lunch is served Monday-Saturday 11:00 am to 4:00 pm
- Dinner is served Monday-Saturday 4 pm to 10:00pm and all day Sunday beginning at 11:00 am
- Seating is at 100% capacity and not all servers wear masks. Outdoor bar and table seating is available in addition to a large indoor seating area. There is a full bar
- Directions – Take 27N towards Lake Wales, in 30 mi make a right onto Mountain Lake Cutoff Road N Road, .7 mi, at the traffic light turn left onto N Scenic Highway, in 4.2 Miles turn right onto Tindel Camp Road, in 1.0 Mile turn left onto Mabel Loop Road, in 1.0 mile turn right onto Canal Road, in 2.1 mi you’ll see the sign for the entrance on the right
- I recommend checking out their website at https://www.cherrypocket.com
Cherry Pocket is not only a restaurant, but their “compound” has over 20 acres of land on Lake Pierce with rental cabins, RV lots and plenty of fishing. There’s definitely nothing fancy here, but service has always been prompt, our servers attentive, and meals arrive hot and freshly prepared.
The menu offers a plentiful array of appetizers from fried green tomatoes to peel and eat shrimp, wings and such. We enjoyed sharing the Cracker Platter with our friends. It included a sampling of their catfish nuggets, Grooper (a similar white fish called Basa-it is not Grouper) nuggets, Gator nuggets, mushrooms, onion rings, and zucchini – all deep fried of course.
The Cherry Pocket salad and Cobb Salad are generous and served with their ‘world famous’ cherry dressing. The dressing is light pink and yes, it tastes like cherries! I’ve read and heard the recipe is kept under lock and key and never shared with anyone at any time. It’s quite interesting and different than the usual salad dressing offerings. I’m not a fan of sweet salad dressing but I did find this one quite interesting and tasty.
Sandwiches round out the lunch menu but are available any time. Most come with a hearty portion of breaded or naked French fries, cole slaw and a hush puppy. Prices range from $10.49 for a Grooper Sandwich to $12.95 for the Crab Cake, chicken or Catfish sandwiches.
The dinner menu is very extensive offering a larger assortment of appetizers, salads, a Bayou Gumbo and a Shrimp and Krab Bisque in a bread bowl to warm you up. The Raw Bar is available offering peel and eat shrimp and raw or steamed oysters. There are filets, ribeyes, strip steaks and a surf and turf selection as well. All steak dinners include your steak grilled or blackened, served on a bed of dirty rice with a salad, brown bread, fresh vegetable of the day AND your choice of baked potato, baked sweet potato or fries. The filet is $26.99 and is a lower grade of meat than most places offer in my opinion. In addition to all this they have house specials, a large list seafood and chicken items they will prepare blackened or grilled, a coastal fried cuisine, Louisiana specialties and a large selection of seafood and chicken fettuccine. In addition to the extensive menu, Cherry Pocket offers there are daily food and drink specials you’ll want to check out.
If deciding what you will have for lunch or dinner wasn’t enough try deciding on a dessert if you want one. We took home a slice of carrot cake and chocolate cake for $6.99 each and we ate them over 3 days!!